If you have questions about Sponsor-A-Group or wish to be matched with a group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. A D.A. fellow will respond typically within two business days.
SPONSOR-A-GROUP is modeled after individual sponsorship to help connect strong and well-resourced groups with groups that are either just getting started or are in need of additional guidance and support. This group-to-group sponsorship exists between two D.A. meetings: A D.A. Sponsor Group and a D.A. Sponsee Group.
- D.A. Sponsor Group is an established D.A. meeting with recovery and solvency that shares experience, strength and hope including practical D.A. resources with a D.A. Sponsee Group
- D.A. Sponsee Group partners with an experienced D.A. Sponsor Group to receive guidance to start a new meeting or to strengthen an existing meeting.
- Each Sponsor-A-Group match identifies together what are the most important needs of the Sponsee Group and what support can be offered by the Sponsor Group. Together, the Sponsor and Sponsee Group determine an ‘action plan’ for moving forward.
HOW DOES MY MEETING GET STARTED WITH SPONSOR-A-GROUP?
- Raise a motion at your next D.A. business meeting for your meeting to participate in Sponsor-A-Group as either a Sponsor Group or a Sponsee Group. Inform your meeting about this resource by creating a copy of this email.
- If the motion passes, make a second motion to create the position of Sponsor-A-Group Representative.
- Next, elect a Group Sponsor or Sponsee Representative for your meeting. This person will be the point person between your meeting and the other meeting’s representative.
HOW DOES MY GROUP FIND A SPONSOR OR SPONSEE GROUP?
First start by exploring meetings in your area:
Or try your meeting’s closest regional area group:
If after exploring the meetings above, your group was unable to find another group, email Sponsor-A-Group by writing to email@example.com. You will receive a registration checklist. Once completed and emailed back to the same email address, an attempt to make a match on your group’s behalf will be made.
HOW DOES A SPONSOR GROUP HELP A SPONSEE GROUP?
The Group Sponsor representative meets (in person or by phone/email/Internet) with the Group Sponsee representative. Together, they discuss the needs of the Sponsee Group & determine how the Sponsor Group can best be of service. Examples:
- Help a new meeting to get started
- Visit (when feasible) the Sponsee meeting to identify firsthand the strengths and needs of the Sponsee Group
- Assist the Sponsee Meeting to locate & connect to the nearest Intergroup
- Share a phone/email list of Sponsor Group members for outreach
- Provide access to literature
- Offer individual temporary or long-term sponsorship
- Provide guidance on how to work the Steps
- Share experience, strength and hope in using the Twelve Steps and D.A. Tools for recovery
- Offer PRGs (via phone, internet and/or in person)
- Provide speakers for the Sponsee Group in person, via phone, or video conferencing
- Attend the Sponsee Group meeting on a regular basis when possible
- Provide business meeting support
- Offer ideas and guidance in creating fellowship events and workshops to help raise funds to send a GSR to the World Service Conference
- Facilitate a group inventory
- Mentor trusted servants (Examples: meeting GSR, secretary, treasurer, timekeeper, newcomer greeter, business chair, literature person, etc.)
Aligned with D.A. principles and Traditions, each Sponsor-A-Group match is autonomous in creating an action plan.